(TargetLiberty.org) – Confusion and concern swept the country on Friday, Oct. 2, with the news that President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. Within hours, he was taken to Walter Reed Hospital as a precautionary measure.
Stunned and concerned, Americans began asking questions about the president’s risk factors, procedures if he becomes incapacitated, and the potential impact on the upcoming election.
What We Know About the President’s Risk Factors
Little is known about specific risk factors for President Trump. However, we know how the coronavirus can affect an individual with his general health profile.
- The president is 74 years old, and the risk of death is twice that of a woman his age.
- The necessity of inpatient hospital care rises for individuals over the age of 50.
- The president looks like he could be overweight, and if so, that’s a risk factor.
Protocols if President Trump Becomes Seriously Ill
Two contingencies exist in the event the president becomes seriously ill.
- Under Section 3 of the 25th Amendment, President Trump would notify Congress of his inability to serve as president and Vice President Pence would take over as acting president.
- Under Section 4 of the 25th Amendment, the vice president and a majority of the cabinet would notify Congress the president could not perform the duties of his office if President Trump were unable to notify Congress himself. The vice president would then take over as acting president.
Contingencies for the Upcoming Election
One question no one really wants to ask but needs to be, is what if President Trump were to die before the election? In this case, the Republican National Committee (RNC) would choose a replacement for him on the ballot.
The only time a presidential candidate died during an election cycle was in 1872 when Liberal Republican nominee Horace Greeley died after losing the election to Ulysses S. Grant, but before the electoral votes were certified.
President Trump has some of the best medical experts in the world available to him. Our thoughts and well wishes go out to the president and first lady. May they have a quick recovery.
Copyright 2020, TargetLiberty.org