(TargetLiberty.org) – Victims of sex offender Jeffrey Epstein have been compensated for their suffering in one of the largest payouts in history. Despite an unexpected number of claims, a special fund has distributed over $121 million to those abused by the late financier.
A fund set up to compensate victims of Jeffrey Epstein’s abuse is concluding its claims process after awarding almost $125 million to approximately 150 eligible claimants, its administrator said. https://t.co/WIs85syXt1
— Newsmax (@newsmax) August 9, 2021
On August 9, Jordana Feldman, the lawyer appointed by Epstein’s estate to run a special compensation fund, announced that the payout process was complete. Reports say around 100 claimants had been expected; in fact, there were about 225. A hundred and fifty claims were accepted, but a dozen people rejected the compensation they were offered and decided to bring private lawsuits against the rest of Epstein’s estate. That left about 138 claimants who shared $121 million among them.
Feldman, in a statement, said Epstein’s alleged victims had “an opportunity to be heard in a safe space” about the harm they suffered from Epstein, who died in a Manhattan cell two years ago. She ended up approving the last payments right before the second anniversary of the notorious abuser and sex trafficker’s death. Before he died, Epstein had moved the bulk of his $600 million fortune to a trust, which some were worried would lengthen the time it would take for people to receive payouts. Feldman’s fund was set up by Epstein’s estate to make sure his victims were compensated as quickly as possible.
Copyright 2021, TargetLiberty.org